What's this all about?
Everyone around you warns you to recycle for a greener planet, you try collecting glass and plastic bottles after parties, you are in traffic and see environmental friendly cars, and the toilet paper you used this morning was probably recycled. What’s with this whole “green” movement you ask? After decades of research (by geeks), humans finally realized that we’ve been trashing the earth. By going Green we can help the planet become a better place!
At Accessory Geeks, we practice and support a greener planet. We want to help our fellow geeks, who stand to make a difference in this world by going green. It might take more than 1 person or even 1 group of geeks to start seeing this effect, but all it takes is one geek’s example! So for once let’s get off our computers and look @ your surroundings. If you have things you can recycle, do so to make the planet a better place for our future geeks!!
So what are we proposing?
Here's some of our solutions or methods in order to help save the environment:
Save your environment, save your money, save yourself a walk.
According to a recent study by Carnegie Mellon University’s Green Design Institute, shopping online consumes less energy and reduces carbon dioxide emissions by 35% compared to shopping at retail stores.
If you shop online at AccessoryGeeks, you are saving and reducing fewer steps in getting products from our warehouse to your home. Instead of going to the store, you can see all the s
election of cell phone and iPod accessories on our website. You get your products at your doorsteps at no time, you save money on travelling, and you're helping the environment by not driving your car.
If you are like me I’m sure you can find a lot of plastic bottles in your room or your car. Don’t just throw them out but walk it over to a recycle bin. All of us can make a difference. The only thing it will take is determination, education, and the resources. The geeks @ AccessoryGeeks will be more than willing to help you guys with this process after all we are all geeks! So gather up your geeky posse and let’s change together for the world, for ourselves, and for the future geeks!
Use Recyclable MaterialsNext time you take a trip to your grocery market try looking for things that have been recycled. Such as recycled toilet paper, recycled paper, and recycled cans. It might cost a little more, but think a bout the rewards we will receive in the future.
What Have We been Doing To Help
Here's some of the thing the Geeks have done to help reduce the damage:
- Amazingly about 75% of our office supplies are recyclable (big props to our HR Geek).
- All the Geeks here started using the electronic Post-its - it's a nifty little program that you can get here.
- We have 2 Recycle bins located in the lunch room and on the way out from the warehouse
- We switched to recyclable cups instead of using the Styrofoam cups for our daily dose of coffee (we all know a geek cannot function to its full potential without its Coffee).
- Most of our Geeks are avid online shoppers - they said it's cheaper to shop online anyway!
- Some of our Geeks carpool to work - that's one less car per day!
What You Can Do To Help?
Simple tips on going green:
- Stop idling your car! (It saves gas too!!)
- Unplug your phone charger from the outlet after you are done charging your phone!
- Some geeks might be terrified of this concept, but turn your computer off when you step outside the house!
- Turn off your T.V. and all the lights when you go out, even for "a few minutes"
- Wash your laundry in cold water (90% of the energy in washing clothes goes towards heating so cold water is a greener choice)
- Pay your bills online and save paper.
- Try carpooling with another geek, it’s a great way to meet new geeks and save the environment!)
Want to get involved?
Today, 80% of Americans have access to a plastic bottle recycling program. There are 1,600 businesses in America that involves recycling post-consumer plastics; however most plastic recyclers only accept bottles and cans, so we want you to send in your old plastic phone cases. Send in your old phone batteries, and your old phones. These products that you will send us will be disposed properly at designated recycling facilities.
Please send us your recyclable products and your e-mail information to:
18430 San Jose Ave. Unit B,
City of Industry, CA 91748
Also, please remember to write “Recycle” somewhere on the package so our recycling geeks know that the item is for recycling.